Thursday, April 14, 2011

I need to eat HOW MUCH protein?!?!

Well, as many of you know, I am expecting our fourth child in July... sweet baby Dominic Kilian... who is sure to make a grand entrance a week or two early (a girl can hope, right!!).  During my pregnancies, I have been advised to get lots and lots of quality protein... up to 80-100 grams per day!  Doesn't sound like much?  Just read that label next time you grab a yogurt... you will find eventhough a healthy snack, it touts little protein when comparing it to the magic *80 grams* number... sigh.

Enter here: creative cooking.  I would like to share some of my recipes that help bring my total daily number up while providing a nourishing meal the whole family loves.  To start things off, the most important meal of the day: Breakfast!

"Cheesy, bumpy eggs"- so named by my old man Jacob by the 2 qualities he likes best in eggs... bumpy (scrambled), and cheesy!

For me and the 3 kids (increase eggs by 3, other ingredients as well, when Mike is home):

-6 organic, hormone-free eggs (there is a difference- try cracking a regular egg, then one of these- the shell says it all!)
-1/2 cup cottage cheese (I LOATHE cottage cheese, but you can't taste it in this recipe!)
-1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix eggs, salt and cottage cheese, put in pan with melted butter (we use the real stuff... mmm!) and scramble until ALMOST done.  Add cheddar cheese and mix just a bit more.  With these eggs, if you cook them trying to make them look dry, they will turn into stiff, inedible, crumbly gross-ness swimming in lots of liquid from the cottage cheese... so cook just until done, not dry.



"Hulk Muffins" - named by me to make the kids like them... b/c they are green :)

These were inspired actuallt by Mike, wanting to eat dairy-free... I took the liberty to add extra veggies and cheese- I believe you can never have enough cheese!

- 12 eggs, scrambled well
-1/2 bunch of asparagus, chopped small
-2-3 handfuls of fresh, organic spinach
-1 zuccini, cut up
-1-2 carrots, peeled and chopped small
-1/4 red bell pepper
- few slices nitrate-free bacon, cooked and chopped
-couple of handfuls to cheddar cheese
-sea salt and pepper to taste

Place veggies and bacon in food processor and pulse until very small pieces, add to scrambled eggs with other ingredients, and pour into cupcake pans.  Bake at 350 for about 20 mins, or until set in middle. Voila!
These can be refrigerated and reheated for on-the-go meals.  If your kids don't like the Incredible Hulk, give them another name :)


More to come... it's almost pumpkin time for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

write your comment, select profile "name", add name, and select post comment